Thursday, January 20, 2011

A little bit more about me.

I think my first post was a bit of a book. If you read it all, then congrats are in order. I just get typing & tend to lose track of how much I actually type.

I thought I'd tell you a bit more about me. The not-so-serious side of me, I guess.

I'm a couponer. I love getting good deals using coupons! No, I don't go to the extreme that they show on TLC's new show, but when a good deal comes around on something that I'll use then I'll snag up as much as I can reasonably use. I have multiple cans of cream soup that I got for free (not Feingold friendly, though) through a recent deal like this. I also hit up a lot of discount stores. I love going to a local Big Lots near my house. They usually get quite a few buy-outs of organic lines of cereals and/or snacks. I've been getting organic cereals for around $2 a box. I stocked up on organic cereal at a local grocery store sale for $.99 a box, but when you don't have that sale to rely on, the Big Lots deal is the next best thing. In recent weeks I've bought organic oatmeal, organic cereal, and organic crispy rice bars for my son to eat & I haven't broke the bank!

I also shop at a locally owned health food store for many of my essentials. I buy the flour to make my son's bread there. I also buy our flax seed (for my son's bread -- he loves it!), salt, sugar, & dried fruit from there as well, just to name a few things. It's not expensive at all & I feel good knowing what's going into my son's body when he eats it. I pay $1.29-ish a pound for organic whole wheat pastry flour. The last time I priced this at a store, it was well over $5 for a three pound bag of organic flour & even then the flour was bleached (I try to avoid any extra processing in foods).

I love yard sales. Oh, my goodness. It's winter where I live right now & there's snow on the ground. I can't wait for yard sale season to start back up! I have a ton of stuff in my house ready to go for a yard sale, but yard sale season doesn't start here until at least mid to late April. I'm ready for Spring!

I enter many contests. I'm having a bit of a dry spell lately, but in just a few months last year I won a $250 check from Kellogg's, an XBox 360 with Kinect from Burger King, and various other small wins like t-shirts and coupons for free items. I'd really love to win a car and/or a paid vacation for our family but I guess those things will come when the time is right. Of course, since we're down to one car again I think the perfect time to win a car would be right now, but Lady Luck doesn't seem to think so. I'm beginning to stalk my mailman & the Fedex and UPS delivery people in hopes of surprise wins. Okay, so I'm not really stalking them, but a surprise win would really lift my spirits a bit!

I'm mildly addicted to Facebook. As much as I hate to admit it, Facebook has become my social outlet. I'm a bit busy this time of year with doctors appointments & various other things that come up in day-to-day living that Facebook is the only time I get to sit down & catch up with what everyone else is doing. As bad as that sounds, life definitely isn't going to slow down at all so I guess I'd better get used to it.

I get to be in my first ever wedding this summer. My husband & I got married in our local courthouse for various reasons, so we never got to have a "real" wedding. My best friend (seriously, I've known her since I was eight years old) is getting married to a fantastic guy this summer & I'm so excited for her! I'm even the Matron of Honor, which is such a blessing for me. My friend & I have had our ups and downs and for her to give me this honor is so wonderful. I'm looking forward to all the fun that being a Matron of Honor brings. Now lets just hope that during the wedding I don't fall flat on my face or something embarrassing like that.

I love to experiment with new recipes. I love baking a lot more than I like cooking, though. I'm quite fantastic with yeast (please, don't let that jinx me now that I've said it!) so I love to make breads & rolls for my family to eat. Desserts are another weakness, but I try to limit those as much as I can. I try to keep plenty of fresh fruit in the house for us to munch on, but a cookie every now & then isn't a bad thing.
Till next time...
Don't get buried in snow. We're expecting four to six inches of the white fluffy stuff tonight. They've already canceled school for tomorrow for my son, so he'll be thrilled to wake up to a snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment